Rovinj is one of the most developed seaside resorts in Croatia, offering a whole range of visitor opportunities in a picturesque ambience of the ancient town, surrounded by luxuriant pine forests (the cape of Zlatni Rt is designated as a park forest, while the coast and islands of Rovinj are set aside as a protected landscape). The beginning of tourism was marked by the introduction of a steamship line between Rovinj and Trieste (1845) and the construction of the railroad to Vienna (1876)... General information Rovinj is one of the most developed seaside resorts in Croatia, offering a whole range of visitor opportunities in a picturesque ambience of the ancient town, surrounded by luxuriant pine forests (the cape of Zlatni Rt is designated as a park forest, while the coast and islands of Rovinj are set aside as a protected landscape). The beginning of tourism was marked by the introduction of a steamship line between Rovinj and Trieste (1845) and the construction of the railroad to Vienna (1876). In 1896 the town had a well-maintained public beach, Val di Lone, and several boarding houses (Alla citta di Trieste, Al Miramar, Alla porta antica and Al vecchio albergo). The year 1888 may be considered the official beginning of tourism in Rovinj, when the health resort Maria Theresia was opened in the town. This oldest institution of that kind on the Adriatic coast was established by the Viennese society for the establishment and development of maritime health resorts and asylums for poor children and scrofulosis and rachitis patients. The health resort was visited by children from the entire Austro-Hungarian Monarchy and other countries. The development of tourism was continued with the construction of Hotel Jadran (today Centar), which was built before the First World War by the Society for the Construction of the First Hotel in Rovinj, to meet the needs of an increasing number of tourists and eminent persons who spent their vacation in Rovinj. The Polish count Ignac-Karol Korwin Milewsky bought the island of Sveta Katarina in 1905, carried out its afforestation and built two castles. In 1890 Baron Georg von Hüterodt purchased the island of Sveti Andrija and turned its former monastery building into a hotel; the island thus became the favourite seaside resort of the Austro-Hungarian clientele (memorial book Cissa-Insel). Between the two world wars the construction of hotels stagnated. After the Second World War many deserted buildings were transformed into workers' rest homes, and the island of Sveta Katarina has been frequented by children from Zagreb since 1947. An important date in the development of tourism in Rovinj was 1959, when the problem of potable water was finally solved by connection to the Istrian Waterworks from Buzet. Most of the existing accommodation facilities and tourist infrastructure was built by the company Jadranturist. The riviera of Rovinj features a great number of hotels, tourist villages, campsites and marinas, as well as many catering establishments. Important is the Entertainment Centre "Monvi". Hotel guests (in the hotels owned by Jadranturist) are offered numerous visitor opportunities: morning workout, aerobics, entertainment for children, table tennis, social games, sightseeing tours in the town, visits to the Museum, the Aquarium, the park forest Zlatni Rt (Golden Cape) - Punta Corrente, chess, dancing school, pool games. Evening programs include tombolas, Sweet Nights with dancing, cakes and sparkling wine, beauty contests (Miss/Mister of Rovinj) and dancing nights. Events: Rovinj Grand Prix - international cycling race (in February), Istrian Riviera - ATP tennis tournaments (in April), Regata Rovinj - Pesaro - Rovinj (in May), Modri Biser (Blue Pearl) - international youth pop music festival (in July), Grisia - art exhibition in the open (in August) - many Croatian and European artists exhibit their works in the most famous street in the town, Rovinj Fiesta (in August), Sv. Euphemia (16th of September), day of the patron of Rovinj with an exceptional gastronomic and entertainment offer and fireworks. Sports and recreation play an extremely important role within visitor opportunities offered in Rovinj. Competitions, tournaments, sports schools (tennis, diving, windsurfing etc.) and trainings are organized. Sports grounds, facilities and equipment are rented. Among sports facilities important are various playgrounds - football, basketball, handball and volleyball, as well as the multi-functional sports hall, the eight-lane bowling alley, outdoor (Olympic) and indoor pools for swimming and water-polo, gyms, recreational and cycling trails. Water sports opportunities include yachting, rowing, windsurfing and water-skiing. Rovinj ACI Marina has 420 berths in the sea and 100 places on the land; vessel length 4-13 m. ROVINJ, a town and port on the western coast of Istria, 36 km north of Pula. Its geographical location is very good: in the hinterland is the lowland part of southern Istria; in front of the coast are numerous islands and shallows abounding with fish. The town core developed on a peninsula, which had been a coastal island under natural conditions, and was connected with the mainland in the 18th century by levelling and filling up. Climate is Mediterranean; an average air temperature in January is 4.5 °C and in July 20.9 °C; an average annual temperature reaches 12.1 °C. Vegetation is sub-tropical. Rovinj has two harbours: the northern, which is more open, and the southern, which is much smaller and better protected. North of the old town core is the cove of Valdibora (Sjeverna Luka, Northern Harbour), and south of it the coves of Juzna Luka (Southern Harbour) and Vestar; the harbours are well protected from the bora and the sirocco, however they are exposed to westerly and south-westerly winds. In front of the coast are numerous islands, islets and rocks: Figarola (Figarola Vela, Big Figarola), Figarolica (Figarola Mala, Small Figarola), Sveta Katarina (St. Catherine), Banjole, a double island called Crveni Otok (Red Island - Sveti Andrija (St. Andrew) and Maskin), Samer, Sveti Ivan (St. John), Sveti Ivan na Pucini, Sturag, Pulari, Piruzi, Dvije Sestrice (Two Sisters), Montauro, Skolj Magaraca (Donkey's Shore) etc. Anchorage for larger vessels is provided 500 m northwest and 300 m southeast of the island of Sveta Katarina, as well as 600 m southwest of the islet of Banjole. Ships drawing up to 5 m may dock along the wharf of the Northern Harbour (filling station); a buoy in front of the wharf is provided for large vessels (sea depth 20-24 m). The Southern Harbour has a jointed breakwater. Vessels drawing up to 5.5 m are berthed on the outer side, while those drawing up to 3 m may dock on the inner side; along the wharf are berths for sports boats and smaller yachts. Economy is based on farming, viniculture (malmsey), fishing, food-processing industry (fish cannery, production of alcoholic and non-alcoholic drinks), tobacco industry and tourism. In Rovinj is also the Maritime Research Centre of the Ruder Boskovic Institute. The regional roads Rovinj - Rovinjsko Selo and Rovinj - Bale connect the town with the main road (M2, E751) Slovenian border - Buje - Pula. History Rovinj was first mentioned in the 7th century, under the name Ruvignio (Ruigno). From the 6th century it belonged to the Exarchate of Ravenna and in AD 788 it became part of Franconia; for several centuries it was under different feudal lords, from 1209 under the rule of the Aquilean patriarch and from 1283 under Venice. Rovinj got its statutes in 1531. On the fall of the Venetian Republic in 1797 it came under Austria, in 1918 under Italy. In 1945 Rovinj was joined to the mother country, Croatia. Heritage Rovinj is a typical example of a town of the Mediterranean type. It was fortified by walls in two rows as early as the Middle Ages, with three town gates (restored and reinforced by Venice in the 15th c.), later pulled down or integrated into new structures. From the 17th century the town started to develop outside the town walls and in 1763 the islet was connected with the mainland. The town is dominated by the Baroque three-nave church of St. Euphemia (Fuma), erected in 1736 on the location of earlier sacral buildings; its front dates back to 1883. Next to the side door is the marble relief of St. Euphemia from the 14th century. The interior of the church houses the late antique sarcophagus of St. Euphemia from the 6th century (adapted in the 15th c.), Gothic plastics from the 15th century, paintings The Last Supper and Christ in the Gethsemane Garden from the 16th and 17th centuries. The bell tower is 60 m high, built in the period 1654-1680 according to the sketches by Antonio Manopola, with the statue of St. Euphemia on the top. - Close to the harbour are the clock tower, the Baroque Balbi's Arch (1680) on the location of the town gate and the former Town Hall from the 17th century (today the Museum). There are several Renaissance and Baroque palaces in the town. The town theatre building is at Valdibora Square. The eastern part of the town comprises the complex of the Franciscan monastery (with a valuable monastery library) with the church of St. Francis from 1810; and the southern part of the town features the oldest monument of Rovinj, the Romanesque heptagonal chapel of the Holy Trinity from the 13th century. On the Muntrav peninsula, south of Rovinj, is a large park with rare Me-diterranean plant species. Here are also old quarries from which stone was excavated, used also for the construction of the Ducal Palace and other monumental buildings in Venice. The Rovinj Town Museum keeps a valuable collection of paintings from the period between the 16th and the 18th centuries, as well as a contemporary art collection. - Every summer, the artists who live and work in Rovinj organize the traditional, picturesque one-day exhibition in the open, in Grisia.